Monday, October 01, 2012

Today I turn 31... say what??

Since I've been in school for the past 4 years it feels like time has stopped. That might be because I'm surrounded by a bunch of young'uns. In my class of 19 guys and gals, I'm the 3rd oldest. Is there something wrong when my closest classmates are a decade younger than me? But to even it out I also have a close classmate that's a decade older than me.

When I first started this program I remember thinking, "Wow, I'm going to graduate this program when I'm 31!" That sounded so old back then... but alas, here I am and... I don't feel a day older. I think my nephews keep me young. I'm pretty sure they think I'm their age.

It's hard to explain. I don't "feel" older but I know that I definitely am. 
Dior Ad
This upcoming year will be an interesting year...some transitions will be happening and I have no idea how it's all going to play out. 

What I do know, is that I'm thankful for my family and friends- especially those who've stuck by me and have understood the madness that is design school...I always say, "We're not saving lives.. why is this is darn time consuming and stressful?!" For anyone out there thinking of going to design school-- it ain't no joke. Make sure you know what you're getting into and that this is for sure what you want. 
Source
And for everyone wondering what the big deal is- how hard is it to pick paint colours and drapes- all I'll say for now is, decorators and interior designers are not the same thing. Unfortunately everyone uses the terms interchangeably... Maybe one day I'll do a full post on what I do in design school and what designers do in general as opposed to decorators. 

I'm not bashing decorators by any means. Some classmates of mine might need the help of a decorator in the future because they have a hard time specifying finishes and colours. It's wrong to look down on decorators the way a lot of architects look down on interior designers. Oh man... am I bashing architects now? Can't we all just get along?! =)

Here's an image I came across a long time. I don't know who actually owns this image but if you do, let me know so I can give them credit!
I thought this was pretty funny... and pretty accurate.

Anyways, thank you God for my life...Although I feel like I've wasted most of my 31 years I have hope that the next 31+ years will be a different story.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Nancy! I've graduated from my design course (Interior Architecture) in July so I know the feeling. Everything's gonna be alright, stay positive, your career is about to start! Many people don't know the difference between designers and decorators, it's true but I've learnt to ignore 'ignorance' :) That image made me laugh. It's so true!

    Happy birthday :)
    I wish you all the best

    Maria

    ReplyDelete